There are many jobs that can cause eyestrain, especially those in the area of computers. If you work as an SEO expert you’ll be focussed on that computer screen for 8 hours a day or more, which can be a big strain on your eyes. Since we all depend on our eyes a great deal, it is essential to keep them healthy and there are several ways to do this.
Food to keep your eyes healthy
One way is to have a healthy diet, but there are certain foods that are better for eye health than others, so make sure you include them in your diet every day.
- Foods that are orange in colour contain beta-carotene, a nutrient that is especially good for eyesight. Carrots, sweet potato and pumpkin are easy additions to your evening meals.
- Vitamins A and C can be found in many fruit and vegetables and the fruit is so delicious it is no hardship to eat plenty. Strawberries, tomatoes, oranges, corn, bell peppers, rockmelon and strawberries all contain A and C nutrients your eyes need as well as the rest of your body. Blueberries are especially good for night vision.
- Leafy greens and egg yolks are high in the antioxidants lutein and xeaxanthin, which help prevent you getting macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Many nuts and seeds are also great for the eyes. When eating nuts, avoid those laden with salt.
- Fish are a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids, needed for eye health. Cold water fish such as salmon, sardines, halibut and tuna are all great for your eyes.
- Many legumes are high in zinc, another essential nutrient for the eyes.
Exercises for your eyes
If you work at the computer for hours every day it is important to take a break and look elsewhere but at your computer screen. Every hour, focus on something further away, such as out the window or across the room. This will strengthen the eye muscles and help you retain distance vision, while allowing your eyes to relax from close up work.
When you are outside, focus on something in the distance, like the trees on a hill top. Every so often look up without moving your head, then look to each side and down in the say manner. If you wear glasses, leave them off while doing some of these exercises, just to give your eyes a break from looking through them.
When working on the computer, have the screen at right angles to a window and make sure it is directly in front of you, not to the side. Make sure there is no reflected light on the screen, as this too, can cause eye strain.
If your eyes become itchy and dry, use artificial tears for lubrication. It is important to have a yearly eye check with an optometrist