Many Australians are on the hunt for ways to improve their health and fitness. Eating well, along with regular exercise, is at the top of the list. However, there are also supplements, vitamins, and minerals you can consume to provide unparalleled health benefits too. Fish oil is something that you might not think would factor into your diet, but could have more benefits than you think. Omega 3 fatty acids, which are in fish oil extracted from the tissue of fish, can support your health and can be more rewarding than you might think. Read on to learn why adding this oil to your shopping cart could be a good idea. Heart Health Illnesses relating to heart health are all too prevalent, which is why many people are on the hunt for ways to improve their heart health, or at least maintain it. Fish oil may be the answer. Some studies show that fish oil in a supplement form can reduce your risk of heart disease. It can also lower your blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Talk to your GP to see if fish oil supplements might be right for you. Weight Maintenance Eating well is an excellent way in which to lose weight or maintain healthy body weight, but fish oil can’t hurt the process. If you take a fish oil supplement while consuming a balanced diet and exercising, you may be able to reduce some of those obesity risks. (more…)
Fear of the dentist affects around five percent of the Australian population. To someone who doesn’t fear their dental check-up, they may not see what all the fuss is about. However, to those who have a phobia or are genuinely scared of the experience, it can be overwhelming. Fear of a dental technician can start from a young age, with a childhood experience often tainting future appointments too. Your local dentist will advise that if you are worried about your children being scared or overwhelmed with their scheduled dentist visits, then it might be time to get proactive. There are several things you can to do to ensure their check-ups are as straightforward as possible. Meet First When you take your dog to a vet clinic for the first time, the vet will shower them in love, give them treats and toys, and lay a foundation for positive veterinary visits going forward. The same concept applies to a child’s first trip to the dentist. The first one should be merely a meet and greet, offering you a chance to ask questions as a parent, and for the child to learn all about the clinic and meet the dentist and their team who will be taking care of them. Then, the next time you return, your child will be in familiar surroundings. (more…)
Body exfoliation is something that can be beneficial for anyone with any skin type. While traditionally, such body care products as a body exfoliator was for removing dry and dead skin, it can do so much more. What’s more, you don’t even need to have dry skin to reap the rewards. If you’re not yet convinced of the benefits of a body exfoliator product, then read on. You will be more than surprised. Removes Dry Skin Of course, the first and most well-known benefit from a body exfoliator – be it a natural body care product or a synthetic one, is that it can remove dry skin. Every day, your toned body needs to shed a lot of skin, and exfoliation products can help to speed up the process. Unclogs Your Pores Do you find yourself with whiteheads and blackheads more often than not? Then try an exfoliating body product. When you exfoliate your skin, you’re getting rid of dead skin as well as surface debris that builds up during the day. By doing so, you’re unclogging your pores and stopping the formation of whiteheads and blackheads. If you don’t unclog your pores, they build up with all manner of dirt and skin, causing oil production under the skin and the resultant pimples. Reduces Acne By using a natural body care product such as a skin exfoliator, you can reap the rewards of reduced acne or a reduced risk of getting it in the first place. While exfoliators help to unclog your pores and reduce blackheads and whiteheads, it can also help to prevent acne. You can use a skin exfoliator once or twice a week to clean out your pores and reduce your acne risk. (more…)
It is a well known fact that your oral and dental health is linked to your general well-being. Clear Choice Dental say that therefore it is very important to make sure that you visit your dentist regularly to make sure that your teeth and gums remain in great condition. However, with this in mind, you may be wondering exactly what sort of benefits a healthy mouth can have with respect to your general health and wellbeing. Luckily for you, we have put together a list of our top five ways that improving your dental health, creating your perfect set of teeth, can improve your overall wellbeing. These include:
- Healthy Saliva Will Keep Your Gut Healthy
- An Unhealthy Mouth Can Cause Digestive Infections
When you are beginning to go down the exciting path of choosing engagement rings, you will find it’s not smooth sailing like choosing cake. While the journey to selecting the best engagement ring is rewarding, it can be fraught with challenges. According to Diamonds and Pearls, you need to work out what size ring finger you both have, figure out how to measure your fingers and rings, and ensure that at any time of the day, your ring is going to fit perfectly. It’s not as straightforward as you may think, but it’s a worthwhile process to ensure the perfect fit. Here is how to go about it. What You Will Need:
- Dental floss, fine string, or a long strand of cotton
- A pen
- An accurate and clear millimetre ruler
- Access to a ring chart
- Grabbing the string, wrap it around the base of your finger.
- Mark the ending point on the string with the pen – the place where each piece of the string joins each other.
- Lay the string out flat with the pen mark visible.
- Measure the end of the string up to the pen mark to the nearest millimetre.
- Compare your results to a ring chart.
If you’re new to the world of waist training, getting a firm grasp on what you should and shouldn’t do can take some time. Whether you’ve already purchased a waist trainer or you’re looking to do so, we’ve included some helpful ‘dos and don’ts’ to help make your experience that much more beneficial. Do: Buy Quality There are several different waist trainers on the market, but not all are high-quality or provide the best results. Always shop from a well-known stockist with plenty of customer reviews and pay close attention to the material quality. Latex waist trainers are a preferred option for those looking to flatten their stomach and accentuate curves. Even if you have to pay a little more, it’s worth it when you get the results you desire. Choose the Right Size If you buy from a reputable seller, they will have a size guide so that you can choose the size that best suits your body shape and size. Always select the size that matches your measurements as you should remember they are designed to be tight. If you choose a size smaller, you risk it being too tight and if you go a size larger, it will not have the same benefits. (more…)
We are social beings, and it is in our nature to fit in with the rest of society. This innate nature of being sociable might be advantageous because it gives us more opportunities to acquire knowledge and increase our network. That is, however, if you use it properly. What if you lost your way and you mixed with a group of people who didn’t seem to care about what’s right or wrong? Would you let yourself be influenced by them? Most probably yes. In fact, statistics state that 55% of teenagers use drugs because of peer pressure and this is another reason for the growth and importance of drug rehab centres. However, that’s not the only reason why the number of drug incidents are increasing. There are also other factors that cause this serious issue — lack of guidance from family and personal problems being the two biggest reasons. Spend time with the right people. Surround yourself with the right people. Before making close friends with someone, make sure that you know who they are, where they're from, and what kind of friends they have. Stay away from them if you think they're into drugs or other vices. (more…)
If you have to sit in an office chair for long hours at a time you may be a web designer. If you are not to get a backache, it’s important to ensure your chair is a good fit for you. Even ergonomic chairs will not prevent a backache if they are not of the right dimensions for you. Tall people need a chair that is larger than one a short person would find comfortable. Often, even though the chair fits and the desk is the right height, people who sit for many hours a day can still end up with a backache. This can be due to any number of factors. In fact, if the computer monitor is not directly in front of you, a neck and backache can develop from the angle of your neck and head. Even though you may only need to turn slightly, when you have to hold that position for a long time, it can put a strain on your neck and spine. If you have a backache at the end of the day – or before – try these few healthy living tips to alleviate it.
- Place a cushion at your lower back for more support
- Get up more frequently, stretch and walk about
- Sit on a cushion with a coccyx cut-out at the back to relieve pressure on the sciatic nerve
- Try and keep your back straight rather than slumping
- Use a chair with padded armrests to ease shoulder and upper back pain
- Stretch your arms above your head at random times throughout the day
- Move your head gently from side to side every so often
- Inscribe circles with your shoulders to ease stiffness in the upper back
- Make sure your feet are firmly on the floor and the top half of your legs are horizontal, not sloping either up or down.
- If nothing else works, try a different kind of chair
Wedding tips for the bride are available by the thousands, but for the groom? Not so much. This is a major problem, because many grooms-to-be, do next to nothing to support and help their fiancée with things like bridesmaid gifts and wedding arrangements etc. So grooms, don’t be a wimp, but get in there and have a say about the wedding hire arrangements and other things to do with the wedding. Your fiancée will be relieved to know you can shoulder your share of the responsibilities. Here are some tips to help the groom before the wedding.
- Choose a few things that interest you and take responsibility for arranging them – in consultation with your wife to be, of course. The wedding DJ, sound system, music, food are all good for guys to handle.
- Expect to have a say in your future home as well as the wedding. Your wife may love an all-pink bedroom, but it’s time for each of you to meet halfway on that if you hate it.
- The bride seems to do most of the wedding planning and this can lead to stress, overload and even a grudge against you for letting her. So make sure you do nice things such as cooking her a meal and cleaning up afterwards, letting her choose her favourite movie – or renting one you know she’ll love to watch and watching it with her. You could even give her a foot massage. Let her know that all the planning and work is really worthwhile.
Whether you are holidaying at home or abroad, you may be considering renting a car if you are flying to your destination. It is true that having a car will give you a good amount in independence to travel where you like, however there are both pros and cons to car rental that you should consider before making any arrangements. Pros
- As mentioned, you will have more independence from public transport and the time limitations it offers when you can travel in your rental car.
- Some areas you might want to visit may not be serviced by public transport, or the times could be inconvenient.
- It would probably work out cheaper than taxis but more expensive than public transport.
- It is convenient to stow your luggage and you can take extra if you don’t have to carry it by hand.
- You can stop at any place that looks interesting, or stop for a rest or a snack whenever you want.
- You can change your mind at the last minute about going somewhere.
- You don’t have to book seats or tickets.
- If you travel with a group of friends there will be plenty of drivers
No one wants to have a heart attack, but many people do since it is the number one killer in many countries. One reason for this is obesity and a sedentary lifestyle. But even stress can cause a heart attack. Whether you are a business person running a busy digital marketing business or a hard working carpet cleaner, when you have a heart attack it is essential to have treatment as soon as possible to lessen the damage done to the heart. The troubles is that not everyone recognises they are having a heart attack because of the symptoms they get. It is not always pain in the heart or chest area that heralds such an attack. Here are some of the signs of a heart attack. If they last for 10 minutes, you should dial 000.
- Pain in the lower jaw - on either side - that extends into the chest.
- Pain or discomfort in the neck, with a burning or choking feeling in the throat. It may actually originate in the chest and move to the neck.
- Pain, heaviness or pressure in the shoulders that moves to the chest. One or both shoulders can be affected.
- Pain, heaviness or tightness in the centre of the chest. Generally a stabbing, sharp pain in the chest is not indicative of a heart attack. It is more like a crushing weight.
- A dull ache between the shoulder blades that spread from the chest
- Pain, heaviness, discomfort, tingling or uselessness in one or both arms, often originating from the chest.
The latest food recommendation is to have 5 serves of fruit and vegetables a day. This may seem difficult for some people, especially those who don’t like vegetables, or just prefer to eat other things. Fresh fruit and vegetables are not only healthy, they actively fight off certain diseases such as cancer, so it’s a good idea to make sure you include them in your diet. Here are a few easy ways to get the vegetable and fruit you need each and every day.
- Juice them – there are many great recipes for smoothies on the internet. You can combine fruit and vegetables to give you a refreshing drink packed full of vitamins and other essential, health giving nutrients. Try combinations of apples, carrots, oranges, celery and spinach. Add berries, beetroot or broccoli. Use the type of juicer that doesn’t waste the fibre, but includes it in the juice.
- Add them to breakfast. Fruit, especially is great with cereal. Try slicing a banana over oatmeal or cold cereal or add berries, peach slices or any other fruit you like.
- Have fruit and/or vegetables for snacks. Keep prepared carrot and celery sticks in the refrigerator so they are handy to grab. Add an apple, banana or other fruit you like.
- Banana sandwiches are a delightful end to a light meal. But they have to be prepared and eaten quickly, or the banana goes brown.
- Having tinned fruit salad? Add some fresh fruit to it, to make it taste especially good. Diced apple, sliced bananas, fresh mandarin segments, berries, and sliced peaches are all great choices. Better still, make your own fresh fruit salad.
Homeowners and landlords would agree that one good way to add value to a property is with landscaping. If that landscaping also includes the use of beautiful limestone blocks for pavers and stone cladding on feature walls then the value is assured. It can also be used for ornamental and functional garden walls, retaining walls along with outdoor seating and tables. Using it for garden furniture means you never have to worry about bringing it inside due to bad weather conditions, be that rain, wind, hail or snow. Stone can stand up to those kinds of conditions just as it does when in its natural environment. You might think that seating would be too uncomfortable on a stone bench, but so is any kind of seating without cushions. The only thing you can do is add some outdoor cushions to the bench. This will also add a pop of colour, enhancing your outdoor setting all the more. While these may have to be brought in due to wind, most outdoor cushions will stand up to a bit of weather. (more…)
One major casualty after divorce is the relationship between grandparents and their grandchildren. Most grandparents are passionate about their grandchildren and being deprived of any rights to see them is very hurtful and painful to both them and their grandchildren. Happily, Robinson Family Lawyers will tell you that you have rights to see your grandchildren after their parents’ divorce. Divorce is never an easy time and it is difficult not to take sides when you are close to the situation. Sometimes, parents of each spouse are very opinionated about the relationship and don’t hesitate to make their views known. It is this as much as anything that can make the custodial parent want to eliminate any visiting rights for the grandparents. But in doing so they harm their children, who often need that extra love and understanding once they have to live without a parent they love. If the grandparents are from a different culture, depriving the children of enjoying interaction with them can deprive them of important aspects of their heritage. Even if they are from the same culture, grandparents do now have certain rights with regards to seeing their beloved grandchildren. (more…)
While we all know the importance of a healthy diet, it is sometimes easy to forget that even the healthiest of foods can be spoiled by poor cooking, the addition of other less healthy accompaniments and even by the way we eat. Here are some tips to ensure you get all the nutrients possible from your healthy diet.
- Cooking – never overcook vegetables. They should be lightly steamed or sautéed to ensure all the nutrients remain in them. Boiling them reduces the nutrients most of which are tipped down the sink along with the water. Juicing vegetables is a good way to ensure a healthy addition to your diet, especially if there are some goodies you don’t actually like. Mixed in with other vegetables you’ll never notice the taste. Eating them raw is also a good way to keep all the nutrients from being spoiled by heat. However, not everyone can eat veggies raw and light cooking does make the nutrients more easily available in some cases.
- Less healthy additions – these can be added by the way you cook, e.g. frying vegetables or meat means they absorb some of the fat. Even frying in olive oil is not as good as steaming. Even though olive oil is a ‘good’ fat, heating changes it to some extent, although not as much as heating other kinds of vegetable oils.
Few people know what their future holds with regard to their health. As we age especially, health problems seem to pop up more frequently and this can be a worry. But with help from a financial planner like Andep, you can take a lot of the worry out of the health concerns in your future. The right financial planning will ensure that your family can be taken care of should you not be around to do it. A good financial advisor will lead you through the steps needed to ensure you not only have a Will, but you’ve given Power of Attorney to someone you trust to handle your affairs and administer your estate properly. They will help you plan for the possibility of health problems that can prevent you from making business or any other decisions. Of course, a lawyer can do this too, but they don’t give financial advice; just legal advice. (more…)
There are many jobs that can cause eyestrain, especially those in the area of computers. If you work as an SEO expert you’ll be focussed on that computer screen for 8 hours a day or more, which can be a big strain on your eyes. Since we all depend on our eyes a great deal, it is essential to keep them healthy and there are several ways to do this. Food to keep your eyes healthy One way is to have a healthy diet, but there are certain foods on restaurant menus that are better for eye health than others, so make sure you include them in your diet every day.
- Foods that are orange in colour contain beta-carotene, a nutrient that is especially good for eyesight. Carrots, sweet potato and pumpkin are easy additions to your evening meals.
There have never been so many different diets around and yet we know that many people suffer from being overweight. If the media is to be believed the western world is suffering from the worst plague of all eating disorders - obesity. Most people – women at least – have tried dieting at some time in their lives. Sometimes they achieve their goal to lose weight; sometimes they don’t. The main trouble is the weight usually goes back on once the diet is no longer followed. This must tell us that what people have for their ‘normal’ food is not good for them, causing excessive weight gain that is bad for their health. And yet, even this is not the whole story. In some cases we have the kind of jobs that don’t allow us to have enough exercise to burn off those calories, but still make us too tired to do any kind of exercise after work is done for the day. Or in some cases we are too busy doing other essentials like housework and supervising children to hit the gym or go jogging. This is where dieting comes in. Once that weight starts to become more noticeable we look around for ways to reduce it. But is dieting really the answer? Here are some pros and cons of dieting. Pros
- It does in some cases help to get unhealthy weight off.
- It gives us a feeling of control because we are doing something to make us healthier.
- We learn more about healthy nutrition as we research which diet to go on.
- We become more aware of what we eat.
When someone you know and love is in need of drug rehab it’s essential to get them into it as quickly as possible. The longer it is left, the more damage it causes - and if they are left for too long without treatment it sometimes becomes impossible to help them. As sad as it is, it’s better to face the likelihood of a worst case scenario than to procrastinate, because the simple fact is that untreated drug addiction can kill. And before that happens the addict’s life will be totally wrecked as they seek the only thing that seems to work for them; more drugs. Overseas rehab centres in Bali and Thailand have become popular due to the much lower cost than that available in Australia, but when thinking in terms of quick help, Bali is by far the quickest and easiest to get to. With only one plane trip to take, the addict can usually manage to get to their destination without becoming distracted by the need for another fix. Besides which, many people don’t have the finances to provide for a month or more at a drug rehabilitation centre that does not offer affordable costs. While it is essential to get treatment that works, affordability is a fact of life that must be taken into consideration. If you need to take out a loan, an affordable amount is much easier to pay back and more likely to be given in the first place, enabling you to get the best treatment for your loved one. (more…)
So you've been to drug rehab and successfully kicked the habit. Now you are home again and you may be feeling a bit let down. After all, home is nothing like that wonderful place you just came back from where everyone treated you so nicely. At home you have to deal with people who may be cranky, drunk or just uncaring. Or even if they love you, maybe they just have too many issues to deal with to show you some of that TLC you crave. If your life looks like it’s going to be a hard drag again, it’s important to do certain things to deal with it, or you risk falling once again into the habit you just got free from. Here are some tips to help you.
- If home is difficult to deal with move out, as scary as it may seem.
- If you can’t move out, concentrate on making new friends who are caring, but not part of the drug scene. You can do this by joining a club – painting, photography, cooking, dancing – whatever your interests are.
- Go out regularly. Nurture your new friends by suggesting you meet for a coffee, a walk in the park or a movie night, whatever seems good to you.
- Eat good food. Many people live on fast food and miss out on the basic nutrition their body needs to remain healthy. Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables give you energy without piling on the weight.
- If you love fast food, you don’t have to miss it altogether, just limit it to once a week or fortnight.
Not every country suffers from intense heat and so tourists visiting Australia may not realise that the kind of heat they are likely to encounter in outback areas or during heatwaves during summer can actually kill. This summer has been one of the hottest experienced for several years so it is likely to catch people unawares. Some of the things we do to cool off in summer are no longer safe when the temperature climbs to 36 or 40C. Here are 21 tips to keep you healthy in the hot weather.
- Stay out of the sun. Even wearing sunscreen and a hat won’t protect you from the heat that is reflected from pavement.
- If you have to work outside, don’t wear shorts as your legs will burn. Wear cotton pants and long sleeves.
- Don’t wear synthetic fabrics in the heat, they will make you sweat and lose more fluid.
- Keep in air conditioning if possible. Spend the day in the mall or library if you don’t have it at home.
- Stay away from the beach. The water may cool you but you’ll get sunburned on all those portions that are not under the water – including your head.
- Never sit on the sand, even if you are covered up and under an umbrella. The sand reflects heat and you can get burned or suffer from dehydration.
Many people set up a business at home both for convenience and cost-savings. You can easily convert a spare room into an office or workroom for your business, but just because you are running it from home doesn’t mean it should not be professional and that can include having a website. If you want your business website to stand out and be successful, use a digital agency to design, create and advertise it, just like any other professional business would. The mistake many people make with their home business is to put too much emphasis on the ‘home’ part. Just because you run your business from home doesn’t mean you should sit there in your PJs, not open for business on time, or go surfing whenever you feel like it. Nor does it mean you should allow your website to be anything but professional. No other business or prospective customers will take you or your business seriously unless you do. (more…)
According to JCA Services when you need repairs done to your property it is time to look for a home services helper or property Maintenance Company who offers the kind of services you need. Unfortunately, not all handymen are equal and some don’t do as good a job as others. This may be because they accept a job that is actually beyond their skill set to complete. Instead of not taking the job, they try to do it and end up making things worse than ever. When you finally work out the problem and find another handyman to help you the job is likely to cost twice as much for them to fix. So what qualities do you need in your handyman?
- First of all you need honesty about what they can do and what they can’t do. Honesty with the quote is also a bonus. That said, a cheap price may well get you a cheap job.
- You need someone with a high work ethic so that the job they do will be done well.
- It is also good if they are clean and tidy and clean all the mess up before they go. Many jobs are quite messy and you don’t really want to have to vacuum up sawdust or clean grout or paint off the floor after they have gone.
- You need a handyman that is highly motivated and communicative so that they will get to your job as soon as they can and let you know if there is an unavoidable delay.
Every winter we hear of home burning down and people getting burned or worse due to a fire in their home – which is often caused through leaving a heater on. Experienced electricians such as Electrician Perth Experts can provide good advice over the media each time the weather turns colder, yet somehow people don’t take enough notice of it, or they fall asleep before they have time to turn their heater off. The trouble is that nighttime and early morning are the coldest parts of the winter so that is when heaters are set to high and left on. Here are some tips on staying healthy and warm without being at risk of having the house burn down.
- Choose a safe type of heater – one that has a thermostat is good, as are the kind that won’t roll over.
- Teach children safety procedures with heaters, such as not covering the top or leaving paper close to them, as well as not sitting too close to them.
- Never leave a plug-in heater going overnight. If you feel sleepy, snuggle into a rug and turn the heater off.
- Always keep heaters away from drapes, clothes and sofas that could catch on fire.
- If you have carpet, keep the heater off long pile that may get too close to elements.
- Toddlers can do anything without realising the harm, so if you have a floor heater in the bathroom, make sure the cord from it is not long enough to allow it to reach the bathtub if picked up and thrown.
Nearly every woman who wants to improve her looks uses make-up of some kind. Some might just add a touch of lipstick while others go the whole hog and apply layers of make-up to ensure they have that wow factor. No matter how you use make-up there are many beauty tips available to help you get the most out of it. Here are 12 top tips for applying make-up.
- Don’t use concealer or foundation on your eyelids as it is too thick and will become creased.
- Sometimes a sheer foundation coverage is better than a thick one. Achieve this by applying it with the fingertips and leave the brush until you want a medium or thick coverage.
- Apply powder to shiny areas of the face first. This is usually the T-zone – the forehead and fridge of the nose or the nose and chin area. Once that is done, a very light dusting can be added to the rest of your face.
- If using bronzer, don’t just use it on your face, as this will give a two-tone effect. It should also go on the neck and chest, if that part is showing.